Last week’s poll asked what delivery service you use most frequently. While I hate UPS, I really had USPS more due to the amount of time it takes to get to see someone (which seems to be always required in my experience). It was surprising to me to see that those who don’t use a combination that they use USPS instead. Crazy!
This week’s poll comes from a Facebook post The Wife saw on Facebook yesterday. It was not only sweet but also something I want to do more often than I do:
- A mother was at the mall with her two boys waiting for her coffee at Caribou. As they were waiting the boys were intently watching the workers at Godiva across the way make chocolate covered strawberries. An “older man” noticed them watching and came up and asked if they would like one (as long as mom says it’s ok). The mother said she was “flabbergasted” and provided her blessing. The man proceeded to take the boys across to the Godiva store and let them pick out whatever they wanted. $16 later they had a jumbo chocolate covered strawberry and a chocolate covered strawberry and banana stick! Both of the boys thanked the man repeatedly on their own which made their mother very proud.
Such a wonderful story; it made me think of the few times I’ve had this happen to me and, conversely, how often I’ve done it for others:
- 1. Back in 2005, sui generis and I received a middle-of-the-night ride back to 28th Ave LRT station in Bloomington from two strangers after a concert let out after the last train left the station for the night.
2. When The Koala was in the NICU we got coffee, a Caribou gift card, and breakfast from “Ryan M” whom we had never met.
3. Several years ago I came across a man who had run out of gas. He offered me $20 to go get him some but I refused his money and got it myself. The gas station made me buy a gas can and then fill it up. I did so and brought it back to him again refusing his money. It is the first time I remember having the opportunity to do something like that and I was glad to do it.
4. This year at the holidays I again heard of “Layaway Angels” paying for other people’s gifts on layaway anonymously. The store representatives interviewed for the story said those gifts would never have been paid for in their entirety if it hadn’t been for those strangers. It was then I decided I wanted to put forth a good amount of money during the 2013 holiday season to help those who cannot buy presents for their families.
While I’m sure there are countless other examples, these are those that I remember. What experiences, on either side of the fence, have you had? Is this something you do regularly? What was the most moving example you remember and why? Is this something you go out of your way to do? Whatever you have to say go ahead and vote on the sidebar and then comment on below. After you do both of those things feel free to check out our expired polls in the archive or read through the previous posts about polls here.