1. Thisweek reports Old Chicago in Apple Valley will be competing with Anthony’s Parkway Grille and the Burnsville Performing Arts Center for those interested in seeing comedy. A couple of comedians will be at the restaurant and tickets are $30 for Friday and Saturday shows and include dinner.
I like restaurants offering stuff like this but I have to wonder how it will impact the various arts centers around town which should be hosting these events, including food, on a regular basis. With private enterprise doing this do we really need to have city run facilities doing it too?
2. Several sources (Star Tribune, Thisweek, WCCO, and Pioneer Press) report a robbery at a Burnsville Jimmy John’s. Police are looking for suspects and looking for anyone with information to come forward.
The photo provided in the papers show a man clearly talking on a mobile phone moments before pulling a gun. What I don’t understand is why the Burnsville Police Department could not have solved this case hours later with the tower records. Seriously, how many calls went through the towers in town during that narrow band of time? It really brings into question how the Burnsville City Council’s cutbacks have affected the safety of Burnsville, its residents and those that work in the city.
3. Thisweek brings word of the possibility of a $60,000 sculpture going in at the Rosemount library if the City Council approves the expenditure.
I have a great idea for a feature at the Rosemount library. How about a $60,000 set of shelves and books–you know what libraries are meant to house. Silly me, I thought libraries were for sharing books, doing research, and studying. My bad.
4. The Star Tribune reports ISD 191 is looking at more inventive ways to drive up enrollment at schools that need a boost including offering incentives to get parents to move their kids such as:
The incentives could include deeply discounted all-day kindergarten. Rahn also could offer an extended school year or day, and the district may give the school extra money to create a special focus to attract families.
I’ve recently heard the frustrations of an ISD 196 parent who is disappointed in the high fees for band, all day kindergarten and the like and mentioned to me that it’s probably only going to get worse and that they’re sure I’m going to absolutely love what I have to pay when my kid hits that age. I can’t wait.
5. According to this Dakota County Criminal Complaint, a woman who was just trying to scare her husband accidentally stabbed him in the leg and now is in Dakota County Jail on $25,000 bail.
I wonder if I could have had my wife sent to jail for the time when she cut my leg after breaking a wine glass in a bed and breakfast whirlpool tub? She definitely scared me and scarred me ;-)
That’s all for this week’s roundup. I’d like to hear your thoughts on the Rosemount library sculpture. What would you rather see money be spent on: what is likely a good number of research/reading materials or a sculpture? While I’m mainly interested in that topic feel free to discuss any of those listed above or even add a few of your own!