Our last night on vacation. We have an early morning flight from SAV to MEM and then on to MSP. After a tux fitting for a friend’s wedding in Ohio later this summer and a trip up to Crystal to get Buddy, we’ll be doing nothing for the rest of the weekend other than grocery shopping — I hope.
This will be the last installment of my quick links for South Metro news and I promise (much to everyone’s dismay I’m sure) that I’ll be back to my usual bitching and endless whining about random South Metro “News” topics after tonight.
1. US Army Corps of Engineers have completed their preliminary inspection of UMore and have determined they need to spend more time there. They go on to say that they found nothing unexpected. I’m not quite sure that this is news but I figured I’d pass it along because I have covered UMore quite a lot in the past.
2. Bloomington residents fought against another Target store and won. I can’t believe that both residents and city planners in the area have the balls to tell Target to go fuck themselves. Maybe they will build another fucking SuperTarget in Apple Valley instead. My favorite part of the article was that Target apparently started a public relations campaign to fight the “big box-store backlash in Bloomington” (say that fucker 7x fast).
3. In Burnsville, the ever so awesome City Council approved even more parking spaces because well, there just isn’t enough concrete and bullshit in The Heart of the City, so they figure they should add more at a cost of $100,000.
4. A third Burnsville mayoral candidate, who’s against the long standing current mayor, has joined the race on the anti-arts center ticket. Looks like people in Burnsville are listening! The best quote from that article was this:
“I think our mayor’s a nice lady, and I’ve talked to her several times, but she’s got this idea she’d rather do things her way than do what the people think,” Haedtke said. “I think that’s a major problem.”
5. The fucking stupid and pointless Apple Valley Liquor Store #3 located by that stupid and unnecessary second SuperTarget will have an HVAC system powered by geothermal energy so that we won’t have to pay even more for this overly expensive store which is only being built to beat out the oversized Lakeville store down CR-46 which was built on 10 acres of parkland recently. Maybe this will save some money which will cover the costs to expand the fiber-optic network out to this fucking store which shouldn’t have been built anyway:
*O. Adopt Resolution Awarding Contract for Expansion of Fiber-Optic Network to Liquor
Store No. 3.