Here’s a quick listing of links from around the South Metro for your Friday reading pleasure. Please note that I have another fun project which will go live on Monday morning so be sure to look for it!
1. According to Thisweek, two men from the South Metro use a Christian radio program to swindle people, mainly senior citizens, out of their hard earned money so they could buy mansions, casinos, and gamble in the global market with other people’s money.
2. The Star Tribune reports that Burnsville fucked up regarding some special assessments it charged a group of homeowners with and believes that the lawsuit they filed in response is nothing more than an allegation. City Manager Craig Ebeling goes on to state that anyone can allege anything.
For once, there was an interesting and insightful comment posted to the Star Tribune’s comment section about the issue. Here is the most important part:
“Lawsuits are allegations,” Burnsville City Manager Craig Ebeling said. “Someone can allege anything.” Actually, no. The rules of professional conduct bar an attorney from bringing an action which does not have merit. Further, the city’s own admission on the record indicates it violated the law.
posted by skeptic2209 on Dec. 3, 09 at 8:27 AM
3. Via my on-going RSS feeds of photos posted to Flickr from around the South Metro, a set of beautiful sunset photos from Apple Valley’s Long Lake Park at the end of November. Now that the snow has fallen, again, I’m ready for summer. How about you?
4. The MN Sun reports on a green car wash, the only of its kind in the state currently, that will be opening up in Lakeville. It will reclaim the water used during the wash and restore it to EPA standards for drinking.
Reader Crystal clued me into this car wash back when we were on the radio together. With washes in the $8 to $30 range, I don’t see why I wouldn’t try it being that I pay that much at the gas station already.
5. Thisweek delves deeper into the fiery shit storm (sorry) which surrounds the portable toilet fire in Rosemount. According to the article the group planned the arson for months yet when the time came their careful planning didn’t pan out and they got caught minutes after setting the shitter on fire.
I don’t know about you but a bunch of 20 year olds should be able to better plan an arson, after doing so for months, than these four morons did. Seriously, months, and you still fucked it up and got caught right away? Wow.
6. The Star Tribune reports on a shootout which occurred in Hastings between officers and deputies from multiple agencies and a single man, recently released from prison, whose family claims wanted to go out in a “blaze of glory”.
The description given is almost like a movie. Car chase, ramming, shooting, and eye witness accounts from a Perkins. So classic.
7. From local blogger Mikey Motherfawkin B comes a great visual look into the history of the Ramsey Mill in Hastings. MikeyB took a great set of photos from the mill in Hastings which can also be seen on world famous MinnPics.
8. Local blogger and reader Joey digs up a story about Kautz’s globe trotting in the name of global warming as part of her duties as VP of the pointless US Conference of Mayors group.
I wish she’d stay right here at home and concern herself with the major issues her own city is facing instead of overstepping her bounds with shit that she can’t do a fucking thing about.
Well that’s it for this week’s South Metro News Roundup. Feel free to comment on about any of what I linked to above but I’m mainly interested in your thoughts on Burnsville City Manager Craig Ebeling’s comment that lawsuits are nothing more than allegations and the group that set the portable toilet on fire. Could those five people (Ebeling and the four arsonists) be any more dumb?